In June and July 2023, the Arizona-New Mexico Chapter of SEINet collaborated with the Symbiota Support Hub to grow and advance their portal community.
In July 2023, the Symbiota Support Hub completed its ninth Portal Advancement Campaign with the Arizona-New Mexico Chapter of SEINet, the original Symbiota portal in the “SEINet” network. This campaign was the first to feature an in-person component; its kick-off activities featured an luncheon followed by a skillshare activity hosted at Arizona State University as part of iDigBio’s annual Digital Data in Biodiversity Research Conference in Tempe, AZ. This event was followed by a series of five virtual office hours during June and July. Additional campaign accomplishments included:
- Publishing 13,887 specimen records to the GBIF and iDigBio data portals from the ASU-CCH and USFS-TNF herbaria
- Indexing 1,025 taxonomic names to the central taxonomic thesaurus, in turn making an additional 1,984 specimen records searchable in the portal
- Resolving 146 reversed elevation values
- Standardizing 599 country values
Other successes included fixing synonymies and other taxonomic issues, updating collections contacts, and inviting additional herbaria to join the portal community.
Office Hours meetings were held to facilitate community discussion and knowledge sharing. Recordings of demonstrations are posted below.
- Mon., June 5: SEINet group lunch followed by workshop *In Person*
- When: 12-3p Pacific/AZ time
- Where: Arizona State University’s Walton Center
- Registration: Digital Data Conference Registration ($50-100)
- Luncheon: SEINet Luncheon RSVP Form (RSVP by June 1)
- Tues., June 13: Open Office Hours
- Tues., June 20: Open Office Hours
- Tues., June 27: Open Office Hours
- Break week for the July 4th holiday
- Tues., July 11: Data Cleaning
- Tues., July 18: Data Publishing & Wrap-up