In 2021, the Symbiota Support Hub (SSH), a newly-funded domain of iDigBio, was created to support, improve, and expand existing Symbiota-based data portals. Critical to this mission has been Portal Advancement Campaigns: initiatives of approximately 1 month in which the SSH directs sustained effort and attention to a specific data portal with the goals of:
- Updating collection metadata and facilitate publishing of data to global aggregators (e.g., GBIF & iDigBio)
- Auditing current images: repairing or removing broken links.
- Identifying data quality and Darwin Core alignment issues that can be fixed in batch and offer batch data cleaning
- Providing additional training to users and admins and/or develop documentation and resources, as needed
- Helping to build and expand the portal community
Practically, portal campaigns consist of generally four Office Hours meetings for the portal community that discuss several key topics including data publishing, data cleaning, and troubleshooting. These meetings are open for questions and issues experienced by the community, and the presentation portion(s) of the sessions are recorded for future viewing and for community members who cannot attend synchronously.
Portal Advancement Campaigns to Date
- May 2022: Consortium of Southern Rocky Mountain Herbaria (SoRo)
- August 2022: Macroalgal Herbarium Consortium
- September 2022: MycoPortal
- October 2022: Pteridophyte Collections Consortium (PteridoPortal)
- November 2022: Texas and Oklahoma Regional Consortium of Herbaria (TORCH)